degree programs: JD Full-time Program
Classes for the Juris Doctor degree are taught by GGU's exceptional full-time faculty, representing expertise in the practice of law across a broad range of academic fields and areas of legal study.
If you are just beginning to explore your career interests, our curriculum gives you the flexibility to select from a wide variety of electives, clinical programs, and practical training opportunities that are designed to help you shape your professional path.
- Honors Lawyering Program (HLP): In this honors program, students integrate classroom learning with actual legal experience by participating in two full-time, semester-long professional apprenticeships. See JD Student Recommended Schedules for more curriculum information.
- Joint Degrees: Students may earn a JD/MBA or a JD/PhD in Clinical Psychology.
- Specialization Certificates: These are awarded in a variety of subject areas.
- Practical Legal Training: Golden Gate University School of Law offers a variety of programs to provide hands-on legal experience.
Special Areas of Interest
Entering students matriculate in August each year. The full-time day program usually takes 3 years, but can be completed in 2-1/2 years.
See the JD Student Recommended Schedule for more curriculum information.
First Semester Required Courses -- 15 units
- Civil Procedure I (3)
- Contracts I (3)
- Criminal Law (3)
- Torts (4)
- Writing & Research I (2)
Second Semester Required Courses -- 15 units
- Civil Procedure II (3)
- Contracts II (3)
- Property (4)
- Writing & Research II (3)
- 1L Elective (2)
Second Year Required Courses
- Appellate Advocacy (2) [may be enrolled in fall or spring]
- Constitutional Law I (3) [must be enrolled in fall]
- Constitutional Law II (3) [must be enrolled in spring]
- Minimum of 12 required course units during second year; total of 12-16 units per semester
Additional Upper Division Required Courses -- 9 units
- Criminal Procedure I (3)
- Evidence (4) [recommended for fall of second year]
- Professional Responsibility (2)
California Bar Subject Courses -- Students must complete at least 8 units
- Business Associations (4)
- Community Property (2)
- Privacy, Defamation, and Relational Torts (2)
- Real Estate Transactions (2)
- Remedies (3)
- Sales (2)
- Wills & Trusts (4)
Upper Division Writing Courses -- Students must complete at least 2 units
- eSearch: Advanced Legal Research (2)
- Advanced Legal Writing (1)
- California Legal Research (2)
- Environmental Law Journal (3)
- Independent Study (1-2)
- Intermediate Legal Writing (1)
- Law Review (6-8)
- Practical Legal Writing (2)
- Special Problems (all sections) (2)
- Strategies of Legal Writing (2)4
- Additional courses with a significant writing component, as identified in course schedule (2-3)
Upper Division Experiential Courses -- Full-time students must complete at least 3 units
- Alternative Dispute Resolution (3)
- Environmental Law & Justice Clinic (1-3)
- Externship Clinic (GGU offers 10 externship clinic courses.) (2-13)
- Family Law Practice (3)
- HLP Lawyering Skills (2)
- HLP Skills Lab (2)
- Mediation and Collaborative Lawyering (2)
- Pro Bono Tax Clinic (1-2)
- Trial Advocacy (3)
- Women’s Employment Rights Clinic (1-3)