LAW : FACULTY
- Intellectual Property Litigation
- Intellectual Property Survey
- Professional Responsibility
- Tort Law
RESEARCH INTERESTS & AREAS OF SPECIALIZATION
- Intellectual Property Law: Patents, Trademarks, Copyright, Trade Secrets, Rights of Publicity
- Interdisciplinary Study of Law: "Law and Society" approaches to law, legal processes
- Legal Profession: Ethics, Trends, Regulation
- PhD, University of California, Berkeley, Boalt Hall School of Law
- JD, University of California, Los Angeles, School of Law
- MA, University of Chicago
- BA, University of California, Berkeley
PROFESSIONAL & TEACHING EXPERIENCE
- Visiting Scholar at the Center for the Study of Law and Society, UC Berkeley School of Law, 2009-2010
- Former partner in the San Francisco office of Townsend and Townsend and Crew, specializing in intellectual property and complex business litigation.
- Extensive trial and appellate experience in federal and state courts.
- Lecturer in law and sociology at Santa Clara University for eight years, teaching Intellectual Property Law; Legal Ethics; and Business, Technology, and Society.
- Co-founder, Collaborative Research Network on Intellectual Property Law and Policy for the Law and Society Association.
- Founding Editor: The IP Law Book Review
- SSRN Scholarship Social Science Research Network scholarly papers by Prof. Gallagher.
- Trademark and Copyright Enforcement in the Shadow of IP Law, 28 Santa Clara Computer & High Tech. L. J. 453 (2012).
- Book Review: The Oxford Handbook of Empirical Legal Research, by Peter Cane and Herbert M. Kritzer (eds.) (Oxford Univ. Press, 2010), in 46 Law & Society Rev. 460 (2012).
- IP Legal Ethics in the Everyday Practice of Law: An Empirical Perspective on Patent Litigators, 10 J. Marshall Rev. Intell. Prop. L. 309 (2011).
- Book review: Patent Failure: How Judges, Bureaucrats, and Lawyers Put Innovators at Risk (Princeton University Press, 2008), by James Bessen and Michael Muerer, in 19 Law & Politics Book Review: 568 (2009).
- What is a "Law and Society" Approach to Intellectual Property? Introduction to Intellectual Property, William T. Gallagher, ed. (Ashgate Press, 2007).
- Editor, Intellectual Property (Ashgate Press, 2007).
- Book Review of Injury: The Politics of Product Design and Safety Law in the United States, by Jain, Sarah S. Lochlann (Princeton University Press, 2006).18 Law and Politics Book Review 4 (January 2008).
- Strategic Intellectual Property Litigation, the Right of Publicity, and the Attenuation of Free Speech, 45 Santa Clara L. Rev. 581 (2005).
- Ideologies of Professionalism and the Politics of Self-Regulation in the California State Bar, 22 Pepperdine L. Rev. 485 (1995).
- Review of Judging Credentials: Nonlawyer Judges and the Politics of Professionalism, by Doris Marie Provine. 12 Legal Studies Forum 251 (1988).
- Member, Executive Committee, State Bar of California Intellectual Property Law Section
- American Bar Association
- International Trademark Association
- American Intellectual Property Law Association
- Member, State Bar of California; Court Admissions: US District Courts for the Northern District of California; US District Court for the District of Colorado; Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals; Third Circuit Court of Appeals
- Intellectual Property Law Center
- Lomba, Lisa. Professor William Gallagher: Intellectual Property Law - in the Classroom, Spring/Summer Golden Gate Lawyer 18 (2013).
- Del Valle, Alica.The 'Governator' Bobblehead: An Exploration of the Right of Publicity in California - an interview with William T. Gallagher of Golden Gate University School of Law,5 U.C. Davis Bus. L.J. 21 (2005).