LAW : FACULTY
Professor of Law
- San Francisco
- Commercial Finance
- Real Estate Clinic
- Real Estate Finance
RESEARCH INTERESTS & AREAS OF SPECIALIZATION
- AB, AM, JD (Order of the Coif), University of Chicago
PROFESSIONAL & TEACHING EXPERIENCE
- Leading authority on real property law in California
- Author of numerous books on Mortgage and Property Law
- Access Prof. Bernhardt's research on SSRN.
- Editor, Real Property Law Reporter (Continuing Education of the Bar). Author of monthly article, Midcourse Corrections.
- Bernhardt's California Real Estate Cases (CEB, Annual).
- Bernhardt's California Real Estate Laws (Lexis, Annual).
- With Alex Volkov. Usury and Loan Transfers, 49 Real Prop. Tr. & Est. L.J. 549 (2015).
- Lessons Not to Learn About Merger, Real Property Law Reporter (Cal CEB July 2015).
- Variances and Hardship, Real Property Law Reporter (Cal CEB May 2015).
- The One Action Rule Nightmare, Real Property Law Reporter (Cal CEB January 2015).
- With Robert Kehr. Lawyers in Real Estate Transactions, Property & Probate Magazine, March/April 2012 (ABA).
- Teaching the Basic Property Course in US Law Schools, 21 Probate & Prop. 36 (2007). With Joanne Martin.
- Property, Black Letter Outlines (5th ed., West Group, 2006). With Ann M. Burkhart.
- Bernhardt et al. Property: Cases and Statutes (Durham, NC: Carolina Academic Press, 2005).
- Taking Title to Servient Tenements, 23:1 American College of Real Estate Lawyers News (Feb. 2005).
- Oxford Companion to American Law, sec. on Real Property p. 667 (Oxford University Press 2002).
- Federal Real Estate Law Deskbook (West Group 1999).
- Teaching Real Property Law as Real Estate Lawyering, 23 Pepperdine L. Rev. 1099 (1996).
- California Real Estate Finance Cases and Materials (2nd ed., Carolina Academic Press 1996).
- Co-author, Law of Federal Mortgage Documents (Little, Brown, & Co., supp. 1995).
- ULSIA's Remedies on Default - Worth the Effort? 24 Conn. L. Rev. 1001 (1992).
- Member of the California and New York State Bars