LAW : FACULTY
- Civil Procedure
- Constitutional Law
- Criminal Law
- Criminal Procedure
- Law Clinic Legal Methods
RESEARCH INTERESTS AND AREAS OF SPECIALIZATION
- Appellate Practice
- Constitutional Law
- Criminal Law & Procedure
- Litigation/Dispute Resolution
- Real Estate Law
BS, LLB (Order of the Coif), Boalt Hall School of Law, University of California, Berkeley
PROFESSIONAL AND TEACHING EXPERIENCE
- Leading authority on landlord-tenant law and appellate practice
- Clerked for the California Supreme Court
- Served as Directing Attorney of California Rural Legal Assistance
- Served on the State Bar Committee on Appellate Courts, and as a consultant to the California Judicial Council
- Cases and Problems in Criminal Procedure: The Police (5th ed., Lexis 2004).
- Cases and Problems in Criminal Procedure: The Courtroom (5th ed., Lexis 2004).
- Cases and Problems in Criminal Law (5th ed, Lexis 2004).
- Cases and Problems in California Criminal Law (Lexis 1999).
- Winning an Appeal (4th ed., Lexis 2007).
- Landlord-Tenant, ch. 4 in California Attorney's Guide To Damages (2nd ed., CEB 2004).
- California Eviction Defense Manual (2nd ed. CEB 1993).
- California Landlord-Tenant Practice , Moskovitz, et al., (2nd ed., CEB 1997-).
- California Residential Landlord-Tenant Practice (CEB, Annual Supplement, 1992-1996).
- Criminal Law Defenses, Paul Robinson, (West, annual supps. 1992-1996).
- Helping the Bench Find Justice, The Recorder, Sept. 14, 2011.
- The Great Rent Control War, Los Angeles Daily Journal (Dec. 10-14, 2010).
- Abolish Oral Argument? Daily Journal (Sept. 9, 2010).
- The Road to Reason: Arizona v. Gantand the Search Incident to Arrest Doctrine, 79 Mississippi LJ 181 (2009).
- Mysteries of the Writ, San Francisco Daily Journal (Feb. 17, 2010, p. 5; Feb. 23, 2010, p. 6; Feb. 24, 2010, p. 7; Feb. 26, 2010, p. 7).
- Field Work, California Lawyer (July 2009).
- Ill-Suited To Retail, California Lawyer (October 2007).
- Huelga! 25 California Lawyer 28 (Nov. 2005).
- Viktor, 25 California Lawyer 30 (Aug. 2005).
- From Case Method to Problem Method: The Evolution of A Teacher, 48 St. Louis U.L.J. 1205 (2004).
- Advising the Pro Se Defendant: The Trial Court's Duties under Faretta, 42 Brandeis Law Journal 329 (2004).
- Tips From An Appellate Lawyer: Get It Right the First Time, 23 California Lawyer 34 (Sept. 2003).
- A Rule in Search of a Reason: An Empirical Reexamination of Chimel and Belton, 2002 Wisconsin Law Review 657 (2002).
- The Party Line, California Lawyer (June 2002).
- The Problem Method of Teaching Law, Journal of Judicial Reform in Japan (Feb. 2001), and also in 4 Waseda Proceedings of Comparative Law 75 (Tokyo, 2001).
- On Writing a Casebook, 23 Seattle L. Rev. 1019 (2000).
- Virtual Justice: The Flawed Prosecution of Crime in America, review ofYou Can Tell A Book By Its Cover, 8 Criminal Law Forum 125 (1997).
- The OJ Inquisition: An American Encounter with Continental Criminal Justice, 28 Vanderbilt J. of Transnational Law 1121 (1995).
- Beyond the Case Method: It's Time to Teach With Problems, 42 J. of Legal Education 241 (1992).
- This land is our land: private landownership has always been subject to public control, 6 California Lawyer 9 (March 1986).
- Rent Control: End of an Era, 5 California Lawyer 23 (June 1985).
- Take my case - please, 4 California Lawyer 49 (Dec. 1984).
- Indigent criminal defendants should pay for their appeals, 2 California Lawyer 8 (May 1982).
- The Implied Warranty of Habitability: A New Doctrine Raising New Issues, 62 Cal. Law Rev. 1444 (1974).
- The Model Landlord-Tenant Code - An Unacceptable Compromise, 3 Urban Lawyer 597 (1971).
- Rent Strikes and the Law: the Limitations of the Ann Arbor Experience, 1 Yale Rev. Law & Social Action 19 (1970).
- The Tenant Union-Landlord Relations Act: A Proposal, 58 Geo. L. J. 1013 (1969-1970). With Peter J. Honigsberg.
- An Historical and Critical Analysis of Interpleader, 52 Cal. Law Rev. 706 (1964). With Geoffrey C. Hazard, Jr.
Member, California State Bar
MEDIA AND INTERVIEWS
Presentation: How To Win Appeals and Writs.