LAW : FACULTY
AABA National Appellate Advocacy Competition
Legal Writing and Research
RESEARCH INTERESTS AND AREAS OF SPECIALIZATION
- Appellate Advocacy
- Gender-neutral language
- Legal Writing/Plain Language/Legal Language
- Teaching Methods/Law School Curriculum
JD, LLM (highest honors), Golden Gate University School of Law
BS (magna cum laude), Boston University
PROFESSIONAL AND TEACHING EXPERIENCE
- Handled death penalty appeals for Office of the State Public Defender
- Former staff attorney, California Workers Compensation Appeals Board
- Board of Directors, Meiklejohn Civil Liberties Institute
- Past president, National Lawyers Guild, Bay Area chapterr
Norm-Referenced Grading in the Age of Carnegie: Why Criteria-Referenced Grading Is More Consistent with Current Trends in Legal Education and How Legal Writing Can Lead the Way, 17 J. of the Legal Writing Institute 123 (2011).
The Supreme Court and Gender-Neutral Language: Setting the Standard or Lagging Behind? 17 Duke J. of Gender Law & Policy 81 (2010).
E-Commenting: Pros and Cons, 22 The Second Draft 1 (Legal Writing Institute, 2007).
U.S. Bombing of Afghanistan Not Justified As Self-Defense Under International Law, 59 Guild Practitioner 65 (2002).
Issue Editor's Note, 58 Guild Practitioner x (2001).
- Member, Association of Legal Writing Directors
- Member, Legal Writing Institute
- Member, California State Bar