LAW : FACULTY
Eric C. Christiansen
Professor of Law
- San Francisco
- Director, GGU-Paris X (Nanterre) Summer Program in Comparative Law
- Co-Founder and Co-Director, GGU Law & Leadership Program
- Co-Founder, Faculty Scholarship Support Group
- Comparative Constitutional Design
- Constitutional Issues Seminar
- Constitutional Law I & II
- Property I & II
RESEARCH INTERESTS & AREAS OF SPECIALIZATION
- Foreign and Comparative Constitutional law
- US Constitutional law, esp. fundamental rights (substantive due process and equality)
- Social welfare rights (education, health care, housing)
- South Africa
- JD, New York University
- MA, University of Chicago, The Divinity School
- BA, University of Notre Dame
PROFESSIONAL & TEACHING EXPERIENCE
- Former associate, Latham & Watkins (London and San Francisco); practice emphasized cross-border corporate finance and capital markets
- Former foreign/international law clerk to Chief Justice Arthur Chaskalson, Constitutional Court of the Republic of South Africa
- Former editor-in-chief of NYU Journal of International Law & Politics and NYU JILP International Citation Manual
- Prior to law school Professor Christiansen worked in the field of non-profit management and HIV/AIDS education and services
- SSRN Scholarship, Social Science Research Network scholarly papers by Prof. Christiansen.
- Empowerment, Fairness, Integration: South African Answers to the Question of Constitutional Environmental Rights, 32 Stanford Envt'l L. J.215 (2013).
- All or No One: Assessing Popular Involvement in Constitution Making (forthcoming).
- Transformative Constitutionalism in South Africa: Creative Uses of Constitutional Court Authority to Advance Substantive Justice, 13 J. of Gender, Race and Justice 575 (2010).
- Survey of Socio-economic Rights in National Constitutions: Healthcare, Education, Social Security, Housing, Food and Water, (currently being updated).
- Using Constitutional Adjudication to Remedy Socio-Economic Injustice: Comparative Lessons from South Africa, 13 UCLA J. of Int'l. Law and Foreign Affairs 369 (2008).
- Exporting South Africa's Social Rights Jurisprudence, 5 Loyola Univ. Chicago Int'l. L. Rev. 29 (2007).
- Security Freeze Laws, Free Speech and Tenant Screening Procedures: Recent Legal Developments in the Fight Against Identity Theft, 30 CEB Real Property Law Reporter 5 (Jan. 2007).
- Adjudicating Non-Justiciable Rights: Socio-economic Rights and the South African Constitutional Court, 38 Columbia Human Rights L. Rev. 321 (2007).
- Ending the Apartheid of the Closet: Sexual Orientation in the South African Constitutional Process, 32 NYU J. of Int'l. Law & Politics 997 (2000).
- Currently a member of the Board of Directors of two organization providing financial assistance to local people struggling with poverty in connection with illness, the Breast Cancer Emergency Fund and the AIDS Emergency Fund
- Member, California State Bar
HONORS & AWARDS
- Fellow, U.S. Department of Defense Foreign Language and Areas Studies, 2000-2001