RESEARCH INTERESTS AND AREAS OF SPECIALIZATION
- Civil Liberties
- Civil Rights
- Diversity in the Legal Profession
JD, Yale Law School
BA (magna cum laude), Harvard College
PROFESSIONAL AND TEACHING EXPERIENCE
Former Dean, Golden Gate University School of Law
- Serves on the Board of Directors of the American Judicature Society
- Serves on the Board of Directors of the Habeas Corpus Resource Center.
- Executive Director of the National Association of Women Judges from 2005 to 2009.
- Executive Director and General Counsel for the Bar Association of San Francisco from 1985 to 2002.
- Former staff attorney with numerous other nonprofits, including the Mexican American Legal Defense and Educational Fund.
- Consultant to the American College of Trial Lawyers, the Open Society Institute, the Kaplan Fund, and the American Board of Trial Advocates.
- Co-founder of the California Minority Counsel Program.
- Former Chair of the San Francisco Commission on the Status of Women and the ACLU of Northern California.
- Tenured faculty member at GGU Law School from 1978 to 1985.
- Serves on the Editorial Advisory Board of California Lawyer magazine.
Viewpoint: Post-Feminist Legal Profession? Not So Fast, The Recorder, Dec. 16, 2011.
The Price of Equality, 4:12 California Lawyer 28 (Dec. 1984).
Calculation of Attorneys' Fees Awards in Title VII Actions Against Private Defendants, 58 Univ. Detroit J. Urban L. 609 (1981).
HONORS AND AWARDS
Received the Queen's Bench Bar Association of San Francisco Lifetime Achievement Award, November 2012
American Bar Association Margaret Brent Women Lawyers of Achievement Award
National Bar Association Wiley Branton Award
California Women Lawyers Fay Stender Award
American Jewish Committee Judge Learned Hand Award