LAW : FACULTY
- Director, JD Environmental Law Program
Co-Director, Center on Urban Environmental Law (CUEL)
Professor of Law
- San Francisco
- Former Director of the Environmental Law and Justice Clinic
- Served as Interim Dean of the Law School 2008 - 2009
- Civil Procedure
- Climate Change
- Environmental Law and Justice Clinic
- Environmental Law and Policy
- Renewable Energy
RESEARCH INTERESTS & AREAS OF SPECIALIZATION
- Environmental Law
- Clinical Legal Education
- Toxics in the Urban Environment
- MJ, University of California, Berkeley
- JD, Boalt Hall School of Law
- BA, Stanford University
PROFESSIONAL & TEACHING EXPERIENCE
- Community Activity: & San Francisco Estuary Institute, Board of Directors 2010; & Impact Fund, Board of Directors 1993 to present; & Advisory Board, Rose Foundation 1994 to present
The Environmental Law and Justice Clinic under Ramo's direction received the following awards:
- EPA Region IX Earth Day Award for ELJC 1999
- SF Board of Supervisors Commendation for ELJC 1997
- Environmental Law Foundation Chappell Hayes Environmental Justice Award for ELJC 1995
- ABA SONREEL Law Student Clinic Award 1995
- Former legal director of Communities for A Better Environment.
- Served as an advisory member of two Cal-EPA committees and as a consultant to the Department of Health Services
- Won a landmark case enforcing SF Bay Area air pollution plans in the San Francisco Federal District court
- Founder of the Western States Legal Foundation
- Received the 2000 Wells Family Award in the area of urban renewal from the Environmental Now foundation
- U.S. Military Accountability For Extraterritorial Environmental Impacts: An Examination Of Okinawa, Environmental Justice, And Judicial Militarism,28 Tul. Envtl. L.J. 53 (2014).
- The California Offset Game: Who Wins and Who Loses? 20 Hastings W.-N.W. J. Envtl. L. & Pol'y 109 (2014).
- Transitioning a Community Away from Fossil-Fuel Generation to a Green Economy: An Approach Using State Utility Commission Authority, 15 Minn. J.L. Sci. & Tech. 505 (2014).
- Environmental Justice as an Essential Tool in Environmental Review Statutes: A New Look at Federal Policies and Civil Rights Protections and California's Recent Initiatives, 19 Hastings W.-N.W. J. Env. L. & Pol'y 41 (2013).
- Not A CEQA Question, The Recorder, 7/24/2012.
- Sackett v. EPA (2012), 35 Real Prop. Law Reporter 78 (May, 2012)
- Failure To Launch, The Recorder, 4/22/2011.
- Joan Blades: Fortune Cookie, ch. in Profiles in Prominence (Golden Gate University, 2009).
- Warding Off CEQA Lawsuits: Advice From a Plaintiff's Lawyer, 30 Real Prop. Law Rptr 101 (July 2007).
- Note on Martin v City & County of San Francisco (2005) 135 CA4th 392, 37 CR3d 470, 29 Real Property Law Reporter 251 (2006).
- CEQA Promotes Environmental Justice, ch. 5 in Everyday Heroes Protect the Air We Breathe, the Water We Drink, and the Natural Areas We Prize, p. 91, (Karen Douglas, et al., eds., Planning and Conservation League 2005).
- Court Says CEQA Covers Wal-Mart's Potential Contribution to Urban Decay, 28 Real Property Law Reporter 41 (2005).
- The Environmental Justice Clinic at the Golden Gate University School of Law: Profile of Environmental Justice Activism, Human Rights (ABA Section of Individual Rights and Responsibilities, Fall 2003).
- California's Energy Crises: the Perils of Crisis Management and a Challenge to Environmental Justice, 7 Albany Law Environmental Outlook Journal 1 (2002).
- Book Review: The Promise and Peril of Environmental Justice, by Christopher H. Foreman, Jr., 40 Santa Clara L.R. 941 (2000).
- Clean Up Your Act, Los Angeles Daily Journal (Oct. 15 1999). (Article on Environmental Citizen Suits)
- Deregulation Could Be a Mixed Bag, San Francisco Chronicle (July 2 1997).
- Hunters Point: Energy Development Meets Environmental Justice, 5 Envt'l Law News 28 (Spring 1996).
- Co-author, Landlord's Handbook: Guide to Promoting Lead Safe Housing (Golden Gate University Environmental Law and Justice Clinic 1995).
- Co-author, Tenant's Handbook: Your Legal Right to Lead Safe Housing (Golden Gate University Environmental Law and Justice Clinic 1995).
- Co-author, Report of the Environmental Justice Committee, in Toward the 21st Century: Planning for the Protection of California's Environment (California Comparative Risk Project Submitted to California Environmental Protection Agency May 1994).
- Will State Ignore Toxic Release Threat?, San Francisco Chronicle (Aug. 5 1993).
- Federal Clean Water Act's Prohibition on Toxic Discharges Applied for the First time to the Bay Area's Oil Refineries, San Francisco Barrister, Substantive Law Journal, Bar Association.
- Member of the California Bar