Degree Programs: JD Full-time Program
GGU Law prepares its students to be creative, savvy, and socially conscious practitioners. Courses in the full-time program are taught by our exceptional faculty, representing expertise across a broad range of academic fields and areas of legal study.
If you are just beginning to explore your career interests, our curriculum offers the flexibility to select from a wide variety of electives, hands-on clinical programs, and practical training opportunities that are designed to help you shape your professional path.
- Honors Lawyering Program (HLP): In this honors program, students integrate classroom learning with actual legal experience by participating in two full-time, semester-long professional apprenticeships. See JD Student Recommended Schedules for more curriculum information.
- Joint Degree: Students may earn a JD and MBA simultaneously.
- Specialization Certificates: These are awarded in a variety of subject areas.
- Practical Legal Training: Golden Gate University School of Law offers a variety of programs to provide hands-on legal experience.
SPECIAL AREAS OF INTEREST
Entering students matriculate in August each year. The full-time day program usually takes 3 years, but can be completed in 2-1/2 years.
See the JD Student Recommended Schedule for more curriculum information.
FIRST SEMESTER REQUIRED COURSES -- 15 UNITS
- Civil Procedure I (3)
- Contracts I (3)
- Criminal Law (3)
- Torts (4)
- Writing & Research I (2)
SECOND SEMESTER REQUIRED COURSES -- 15 UNITS
- Civil Procedure II (3)
- Contracts II (3)
- Property (4)
- Writing & Research II (3)
- 1L Elective (2)
SECOND YEAR REQUIRED COURSES
- Appellate Advocacy (2)
- Constitutional Law I (3) [must be enrolled in fall]
- Constitutional Law II (3) [must be enrolled in spring]
- Minimum of 12 required course units during second year; total of 12-16 units per semester
ADDITIONAL UPPER DIVISION REQUIRED COURSES -- 9 UNITS
- Criminal Procedure I (3)
- Evidence (4) [recommended for fall of second year]
- Professional Responsibility (2)
CALIFORNIA BAR SUBJECT COURSES -- STUDENTS MUST COMPLETE AT LEAST 8 UNITS
- Business Associations (4)
- Community Property (2)
- Privacy, Defamation, and Relational Torts (2)
- Real Estate Transactions (2)
- Remedies (3)
- Sales (2)
- Wills & Trusts (4)
UPPER DIVISION WRITING COURSES -- STUDENTS MUST COMPLETE AT LEAST 2 UNITS
- California Legal Research (2)
- Environmental Law Journal (3)
- Independent Study (1-2)
- Law Review (6-8)
- Additional courses with a significant writing component, as identified in course schedule (2-3)
UPPER DIVISION EXPERIENTIAL COURSES -- FULL-TIME STUDENTS MUST COMPLETE AT LEAST 6 UNITS
- Advanced Trial Advocacy (3)
- Alternative Dispute Resolution (3)
- Civil Litigation: Depositions (3)
- Civil Litigation: Pre-Trial Phase (3)
- Criminal Litigation (3)
- DOJ Internship (2-3)
- Environmental Law & Justice Clinic, and Seminar (1-3)
- Externship Clinic (2-13)
- Family Law Practice (3)
- HLP Lawyering Skills (2)
- HLP Skills Lab (2)
- IRS Litigation Clinic (2-3)
- Mediating Trusts & Estates Disputes (3)
- Negotiation (3)
- Pro Bono Tax Clinic (1-2)
- Trial Advocacy (3)
- Women's Employment Rights Clinic, and Seminar (1-3)
- Veterans Legal Advocacy Center, and Seminar (2)